Outline: The District Explorer Scout Commissioner is the Manager of the Explorer Scout Section. They are responsible for its effective operation of the developing of quality Explorer Scouting in the District in accordance with the Purpose, Principles and Policies of The Scout Association. This may be with the help of District Explorer Scout Administrators, District Explorer Scout Leaders and Explorer Scout Leader (Young Leaders) as appropriate. Some of the tasks for which the Explorer Scout Leader is responsible may be delegated to others in the District, including Explorer Scout Leaders, Assistant Explorer Scout Leaders and Section Assistants.
Responsible to: District Commissioner.
Responsible for: District Explorer Scout Administrator, Explorer Scout Leaders, Assistant Explorer Scout Leaders, District Explorer Scout Leaders, Section Assistants and Explorer Scout Leader (Young Leaders).
Main Contacts: District Commissioner, District Explorer Scout Administrator, Explorer Scout Leaders, Explorer Scout Leader (Young Leaders), All Explorer Scouts within the District, GSLs, ACC (Explorer Scouts), local Scout Network Co-ordinators, County Scout Network Administrator, County Scout Network Commissioner, District Executive Committee members and Scout Section Leaders.
Appointment Requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies). Must complete Getting Started within 5 months of appointment and other relevant training (a wood badge) within three years of taking up the role.
It’s expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
- Ensure that a safe, exciting and stimulating Balanced Programme is run for Explorer Scouts across the District taking into account the needs interests and abilities of the young people across the Section.
- Ensure all Explorer Scouts have the opportunity to participate in the Platinum and Diamond Chief Scoutâ€™s Awards, the Queenâ€™s Scout Award and the Duke of Edinburghâ€™s Award Scheme.
- Ensure there are adequate numbers of Leaders, and that they’re supported and trained.
- Ensure that all Unit Leaders, Assistant Leaders and Section Assistants in the District have access to a Training Adviser and carry out their specific learning and are keeping adequate records of the
development of their Personal Learning Plan.
- Ensure that there is an adequate provision of Explorer Scouting in the District.
- Ensure the safe delivery of the programme across the District in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
- Maintain a good working relationship with the District Executive Committee, to ensure that all Explorer Scout Units are adequately and appropriately funded.
- Ensure that Partnership Agreements are made between Units and any supporting bodies, and ratified by all parties (Unit, District and supporting body).
- Ensure that all Units have adequate access to funds, equipment and buildings by ensuring that all Partnership Agreements are reviewed/updated regularly.
- Ensure with the DESA efficient administration of the District databases and finances, and enable regular communication of information to youth members and Leaders in the District.
- Set up District Explorer Scout Forum to ensure that youth members have the opportunity to contribute to the programme and management of Explorer Scouting in the district.
- Ensure there is an active forum in each Explorer Scout Unit.
- Hold a regular District Explorer Scout Meeting, at least annually.
- Ensure good relationships exist between Explorer Scout Leaders, DESA and the Group Scout Leaders and Scout Leaders to enable and encourage the moving on process from Scouts to Explorer Scouts.
- Actively encourage the moving on process from the Explorer Scout Section to the Scout Network.
- Ensure the development of a Young Leaders Unit with the ESL (YL) and ensure all Young Leaders receive adequate training, whilst given full access to the wider District Explorer Scout programme.
- Regularly Review the District provision of Explorer Scouting.
- Maintain effective communication with the DC, ESLs, DESA, GSLs, SLs, ACC (ES) and the County Scout Network Commissioner and local Scout Network Co-ordinators.
- Any other tasks as agreed with District Commissioner.
If you would like to have an informal chat or would like to find out more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.